Accurate and rapid fruit fly identification underpins responsiveness to potential incursions or outbreaks and increases the chance of successful eradication. Tools and materials that enhance the ease and throughput of identification of species complexes are of particular value. Confidence in diagnostic capability across a range of established and exotic fruit fly species is fundamental to providing national assurance of area freedom.
Maintain and enhance rapid diagnostic capability and capacity to support responses to incursions or outbreaks and to confirm area freedom.
This priority area will be achieved through activities that include:
- Facilitating a national approach to diagnostic capacity and capability through networks, training, formally recognised protocols and reference materials.
- Continuing to develop diagnostic platforms and tools that streamline and facilitate identification of fruit flies.
- Resolving taxonomically problematic species complexes.
- Developing diagnostic methods to understand genetic relationships and geographic origins of invasive populations to enable identification of high-risk pathways.
- Promoting the value of diagnostic services to stakeholders, to gain a higher level of investment in essential infrastructure, expertise, and research.