A cohesive fruit fly management system relies on effective sharing and adoption of relevant information. It improves the quality of decision-making and ensures stakeholders at all levels are better equipped to manage fruit fly challenges. Reliable and up-to-date information is also instrumental in maintaining or enhancing industry competitiveness. Improved communication and engagement across fruit fly management systems will help increase the uptake of innovation and creation of shared outcomes. It is also important that information reaches all those who contribute to or benefit from fruit fly management systems, including consumers, wholesalers, retailers, exporters, importers, transport operators and treatment providers.
Adopt systems and mechanisms for the efficient and effective communication, training, extension and uptake of fruit fly information by a broad range of audiences.
This priority area will be achieved through activities that include:
- Developing a communication and engagement strategy for the National Fruit Fly Strategy 2020–25, including roles and responsibilities of stakeholders.
- Raising awareness of the various processes and components of the national fruit fly system that serve to maintain and gain market access.
- Promoting the roles and responsibilities of all stakeholders in upholding the integrity of the national fruit fly system.
- Utilising existing systems to exchange up-to-date information on fruit fly management issues between governments, industries, regions and communities.
- Encouraging adoption of area wide management approaches, including through applying relevant social